Google Search
Search www.israelfaxx.com


Newsletter : 18fx0818.txt

Directory | Previous file | Next file

Egyptian Intelligence Chief in Israel to Finalize Gaza Truce

By the Jerusalem Post & VOA News

Egyptian efforts to broker a cease-fire in the Gaza Strip shifted into high gear over the last two days as Egyptian intelligence chief Maj.-Gen. Abbas Kamel held talks on Wednesday with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to lock down the deal, though Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas refused to meet him on Thursday. Abbas is reportedly furious at the deal, fearing it will concertize and give international legitimacy to the split between the West Bank and Gaza, and make extending the Palestinian Authority's control over the coastal enclave even more difficult. Reuters quoted an Egyptian security source as saying that Cairo was "putting the final touches to the terms of the truce that will be signed by all sides, and we expect to announce the terms next week if Fatah helps us to do so." According to the source, the cease-fire will include a period of calm for one year, "during which contacts will be held to extend it for another four years." Negotiations over the return of the bodies of the IDF soldiers, and the two Israeli civilians held by Hamas, would be held during those talks. Instead of any of any authorized information on the arrangements coming out of Jerusalem, much of the information about the nature of the deal on Thursday came from the Arabic media. For instance, Beirut's Hizbullah-affiliated Al Mayadeen TV reported that the deal involves a Cyprus-Gaza sea corridor, which would be under Israeli supervision. Also, the report said Qatar would help pay both Hamas salaries and for the Gaza Strip's electric bill, payments that were in the past borne by the Palestinian Authority, but which Abbas cut off in an effort to pry Gaza free of Hamas control. An earlier report in the London-based pan-Arabic Al-Hayat newspaper said that Kamel's discussions in Israel centered on Israel's approval of the truce, the approval of humanitarian projects in Gaza, and later indirect negotiations with Hamas over the return of the bodies of the soldiers and the release of the civilians. The report also said Kamel's visit comes as two high-level delegations from Hamas and Islamic Jihad were in Cairo, along with delegations from a number of smaller Palestinian factions. Arab media reported that Israel began allowing trucks to deliver various goods into Gaza through the main Kerem Shalom border crossing, after Kamel's visit. Egyptian media noted officials of the Palestinian Hamas group are expected to visit Cairo within the next 24 hours to deliver the group's response to the proposed Egyptian-sponsored deal. Abbas told his Fatah faction during a two-day meeting in Ramallah that there can be no inter-Palestinian reconciliation agreement outside the comprehensive deal agreed upon last year, in which all factions unite under the same government, the same security forces, the same laws and agree to the abolition of militias operating outside the government. Egyptian analyst Said Sadek tells VOA that Egypt has not given up on an inter-Palestinian agreement, alongside deals between Hamas and Israel. "All these negotiations are concentrating on several issues," Sadek said. First, "reconciliation between Fatah and Hamas; second, cease-fire [between Hamas and Israel]; third, the exchange of prisoners and bodies, along with the fourth, which is the so-called 'Deal of the Century.'" Sadek stressed that regional players, including Egypt and Saudi Arabia, appear to be trying to work out details of the Trump administration's Arab-Israeli peace plan, which Arab media has dubbed the "Deal of the Century." But Abbas told his Fatah faction's leaders that he was the first to oppose the Trump administration's Deal of the Century and would continue to do so. The Trump administration's Middle East peace envoy, Jason Greenblatt, indicated in a tweet Wednesday that "no one will be fully pleased with our proposal, but that is the way it must be if real peace is to be achieved. Peace can only succeed if it is based on realities." Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sissi met with Saudi King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in the Saudi town of Neom several days ago amid reports that they had discussed the Trump administration's peace plan, in addition to the conflict in Yemen and economic efforts by Saudi Arabia to develop its Red Sea coast.

US Ambassador: `No Reason to Evacuate' Jewish Communities in Judea and Samaria

By World Israel News

Following a meeting on Wednesday at the US Embassy in Jerusalem, reports surfaced in the Israeli media that US Ambassador to Israel David Friedman told Knesset member Yehudah Glick that there is "no reason to evacuate settlements" in the as-yet-unreleased Middle East peace plan being developed by President Donald Trump. Glick's account of Friedman's comments was published by the Times of Israel, which spoke directly with the Israeli politician. A Likud member and leading voice for Jewish communities in Judea and Samaria, Glick arranged the meeting with Friedman to present Israeli-Palestinian economic ventures. According to the Times, Glick and Damari put forth a development plan for a medical center for both populations and a new Israeli industrial zone in the southern portion of the Judea and Samaria region. The project could result in thousands of jobs for Palestinians. Glick told the Times of Israel that Friedman was "very explicit" regarding Jewish communities in Judea and Samaria. Commenting on future Israeli-Palestinian ventures such as the ones discussed at the meeting with Friedman, Glick remarked, "I think it's the only way to move forward here because neither the Palestinians nor we are going to be disappearing any time soon and we have to learn to live together." While Friedman has remained a staunch supporter of Jewish communities in Judea and Samaria, serving as president of American Friends of Bet El Institutions which supports the Bet El community, the US State Department has cautioned in the past that his comments do not necessarily reflect the agency's official policy.

Former Jordanian Minister's `Peace Plan': Kick the Jews Out of Israel

By United with Israel

If an article recently published in the Jordanian government daily Al-Rai is any indication; the Arab world may still be harboring delusions that the State of Israel will one day vanish, leaving a Palestinian nation in its wake. The article in question, titled "An Alternative Deal," was penned by Salah Jarrar, who previously served as Jordan's minister of culture and vice president of the University of Jordan. In the piece, Jarrar argues against President Donald Trump's as-yet-unveiled an Israel-Palestinian peace plan, advocating instead for the expulsion of the Jews from their ancestral homeland. The details of Jarrar's plan were translated in an expose by the Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) and reflect a frighteningly out of touch perspective in light of his nation's official policy of peace with its declared ally, Israel. Jarrar proposes that all Jews who arrived in Israel after 1917 must return to their countries of origin, "without taking anything with them," while Palestinian "refugees" will return to Israel, with the US and Britain compensating them. According to Jarrar, "The entire world is currently occupied with the so-called `Deal of the Century,' invented by Donald Trump and his diplomatic, economic and security teams. … Whatever its nature, content and goals, the Deal of the Century is a natural outcome of the current state of the Arabs, which is characterized by division, internal wars, insane conflicts, neglect, and a failure to confront the challenges, foreign ambitions and plots, and the Zionist occupation of Arab lands," MEMRI reported. Jarrar added, "Amid this dangerous reality… we must end our silence and idleness and declare, first of all, that we categorically oppose all the Zionist and American plans and that we will be the ones to choose the deal we want as a solution [to the conflict]."

Israeli Treatment Freezes Cancerous Tumors, Eliminating Need for Surgery

By United with Israel

IceCure, an Israeli startup, announced Wednesday that it would begin commercial treatment for the first time in Israel in the coming month on patients with benign breast tumors and cancerous kidney tumors, using the ProSense system, developed at Elisha Medical Center, a private hospital in Haifa. IceCure recently reported successful results in a vast breast cancer trial, which reflected a very low percentage of recurrence of the disease after treatment using ProSense, which lasts for between 20 and 40 minutes in a clinic – without the need for surgery. The trial, conducted in 18 clinics in the US, included 146 patients with low-risk breast cancer, with only one patient showing a recurrence; 76% of patients returned to full daily activities 48 hours after the treatment, while 95% of patients and doctors reported satisfaction with the cosmetic results. Treatment using ProSense is based on a system that streams liquid nitrogen in a closed circuit and then freezes, with a unique needle developed by IceCure, benign and malignant tumors while protecting the healthy tissues surrounding the tumor and eradicating the entire tumor. The treatment of breast tumors uses a minimally invasive approach that allows swift recovery with no scars.

The treatment lasts about 20-40 minutes in a medical clinic, without surgery, hospitalization or stitches and without changing the shape or size of the breast. After treatment, the patient can return quickly to daily activities. Follow-up of the lesion is similar to follow-up after surgical removal. "We are delighted with the start of commercial treatment in Israel of breast and kidney tumors, which represents an acknowledgement by the medical establishment in Israel that our technology is an alternative that makes unnecessary the need for surgery and cutting open the breast," IceCure Medical CEO Eyal Shamir stated."

Cannabis-Flavored Ice Cream?

By JTA
The Vaniglia ice cream chain is popular in Israel for offering over 60 flavors. It recently added a notable new one to its roster: cannabis. Sadly for stoners, the ice cream doesn't contain any THC, the active psychoactive ingredient found in marijuana. The only part of the cannabis plant harnessed in the recipe is terpenes, or aromatic oil that gives the green leafy drug its unique smell. The rest of the flavor comes from a mix of specific herbs and nuts that chain founder Itay Rogozinsky identified by good old trial and error. "People don't know what cannabis tastes like because people don't eat marijuana. To create a cannabis-flavor for ice cream, I studied the marijuana plant and learned about its different terpenes and aromas," Rogozinsky told the Israeli innovation website NoCamels. "I then created an ice cream that, in my opinion, tastes like the aroma of cannabis." He went on to describe the taste as "nutty" and polarizing — customers either love it or hate it. As Emerald Report points out, Rogozinsky isn't the only one churning out cannabis-flavored ice cream. Some stores, like The Hop in Asheville, North Carolina, infuse cannibidiol, or CBD oil, into their new ice creams. CBD oil is used in medicines for its calming and other therapeutic effects — without inducing the high that THC produces. Others, such as the store Drip in Portland, Oregon, and the Cann Eye Dream brand based in California, have gone a step further and added THC into the mixture. But for those looking simply for the cannabis flavor without the high, Rogozinsky's iteration seems to stand out. "I don't like gimmicks," he told Emerald Report. "My goal was to create an ice cream that tasted like the aroma of cannabis. I sourced natural ingredients and created a number of blended profiles. … I'm very proud of the product."


Home Search

(All material on these web pages is © 2001-2012
by Electronic World Communications, Inc.)



 
Home
Search
 
Read today's issue
 
Who is Don Canaan?
 
IsraelNewsFaxx's Zionism and the Middle East Resource Directory