Google Search

Newsletter : 15fx1014.txt

Directory | Previous file | Next file

Three Murdered, 20+ Wounded in 5 Attacks

By, DEBKAfile &

Three people were murdered and dozens wounded in five terror attacks in Jerusalem, Ra'anana and Kiryat Ata on Tuesday. One of the victims was identified as Rabbi Yeshayahu Krishevsky, 60, and another as Haviv Haim, 78. Hamas praised the attacks, saying they are "a message to anyone who harms our holy places. We call to continue the intifada, which is the natural response to the world's silence."

In Kiryat Ata, a northern city near Haifa, a terrorist stabbed at least one person outside IKEA. The attacker has been subdued, while the victim's was moderately wounded. Both stabber and victim are Jewish, but it remains unclear whether the stabbing was a nationalistic incident or a criminal one. Police were investigating the suspicion that the attacker wanted to stab an Arab, but mistook the nationality of his victim.

Three were murdered and 17 others wounded in two simultaneous morning attacks in Jerusalem's East Talpiot and Geula neighborhoods. Two terrorists - Baha Aliyan, 22, and Bilal Ranem, 23, both from Jabel Mukaber - boarded an Egged bus on Olei HaGardom Street in East Talpiot, a neighborhood also known as Armon HaNetziv, one armed with a gun and the other with a knife.

They started shooting and stabbing passengers while the bus kept moving, killing a man in his 60s and wounding 10 others. One of the wounded, a man in his 40s, was evacuated in critical condition and was declared dead at the hospital.

Two others were seriously wounded - women aged around 60 and 40, who suffered stab wounds to their upper body. Two others were in moderate condition: a woman of about 60 years old with gunshot wounds to her upper body and a man in his 30s. Three were lightly wounded, and two were suffering from shock.

A security guard at the scene was able to overpower one of the terrorists and shoot him. The attacker then tried to get up and resume his attack, but the security guard shot him again. The second terrorist locked the bus' doors in an attempt to stop security forces from boarding, as well as stopping passengers from fleeing. Policemen opened fire at him from outside the bus. Aliyan was killed, while Ranem was wounded and neutralized.

Eye-witnesses said one of the terrorists took over the driver's seat in an attempt to kidnap the bus. Golan Cohen-Gabai, one of the eye-witnesses, said he used his car to block off the bus and stop the terrorist from taking it. "Then he opened the doors and wanted to come at me with a knife. I closed the windows, so he ran back and returned with a gun.... I held him here for two minutes and then police forces arrived," he said.

Rubi Mahatbi, 18, was lightly wounded in the attack. "I took bus 78 to the city center. The two terrorists sat there and didn't look suspicion to me, but as soon as the bus started moving, the terrorist drew out a gun, yelled 'Allahu Akbar,' and shot a person as he came in my direction. I hid near the door and tried to escape. He drew a knife and started stabbing a military man. The second terrorist grabbed me and tried to attack me, but I hit him and was able to escape," he said.

"That moment, you feel fear and stress and you don't know what to do. I preferred running away rather than confronting him. I have bruises on my neck from his attempts to choke me. At that moment, all I was thinking about was I was either going to survive this or I die," he added.

An MDA paramedic who arrived at the scene of the attack described it as chaotic, saying gunfire was heard as rescue teams arrived. On Malkhei Yisrael Street in Geula, a terrorist drove a car into a bus stop, hitting three pedestrians - one of whom, 60-year-old Rabbi Yeshayahu Krishevsky, was killed. The terrorist then left the vehicle and started repeatedly stabbing his victims.

A security guard who was nearby arrived at the scene of the attack and shot the terrorist. The terrorist fell down, but got back up again, leading the security guard to fire at him again. The terrorist then lunged at the security guard, and was shot a third time. Border Police forces, who arrived at the scene, heard calls of "bomb!" and saw the terrorist moving, firing at him again. The terrorist was then taken to hospital in serious condition.

Magen David Adom said it provided treatment to eight people: One in moderate-to-serious condition with injuries to his upper body and limbs, one in moderate condition, one lightly wounded with bruises to his face, and five suffering from shock.

Moshe Shmueli was lightly wounded in the attack. "We can see what's happening in the country. It's an act from heaven that comes to awaken the people of Israel," he said. "I wanted to take bus 59 and was waiting at the bus stop when all of a sudden a vehicle appeared and rammed into the bus stop with great force," Shmueli recounted.

"I was sitting inside the bus stop while outside was an older man. It could've been a lot worse. I was near the terrorist who got out of the car - a giant man with hatred - and started hitting me and I immediately realized it wasn't an accident, but a terror attack. I left everything and ran. All of a sudden I heard gunfire and people telling me to run. I went into a house and the good people there treated me. We have to stop this entire situation," Shmueli added. "We can't put a policeman to protect each civilian, only the Torah can protect us."

The terrorist, identified as Alaa Abu Jamal, a resident of Jabel Mukaber in East Jerusalem who has Israeli citizenship, was an employee of Israeli phone company Bezeq, and used a company car to commit the attack. A statement issued by Bezeq said: "We just learned that a Bezeq employee was responsible for the terror attack in Jerusalem this morning on Malkhei Yisrael Street. At this point we do not have all of the details, but it is clear this is a serious incident. "Bezeq, and all of its employees, scorns this heinous crime. Our hearts are with the victims and their families." Abu Jamal is related to the two terrorists who committed the terrorist attack at the Har Nof synagogue in November 2014 - cousins Ghassan and Uday Abu Jamal.

The wounded from both Jerusalem attacks were taken to Shaare Zedek Medical Center and to the Hadassah Medical Center in Jerusalem's Ein Karem. Shaare Zedek received eight wounded: One of them was in critical condition and declared dead upon his arrival to the hospital; two were in serious condition, one of them already taken into operation; three were in moderate condition and two in light condition.

Hadassah Ein Karem received five wounded, two of whom were the terrorists. One of the terrorists was declared dead, while the other was in serious condition. The other three wounded were the Jewish victims - one was critically wounded, one seriously wounded, and one light-to-moderately wounded.

Four people were wounded in a stabbing attack at a bus stop outside the Beit Loewenstein Rehabilitation Center on Jerusalem Street in Ra'anana. After stabbing his victims the terrorist, an East Jerusalem resident in his late 20s, fled towards Ahuza Street, a major thoroughfare in the Sharon plains city. He was pursued by civilians. A driver passing by noticed the ongoing chase and hit the terrorist with his car. A taxi driver who was at the scene helped subdue the attacker.

Large police forces who arrived at the scene arrested the assailant, who was employed at the nearby Beit Loewenstein. He was taken to hospital in serious condition. "We saw the terrorist stabbing a helpless older man who was standing at the bus stop. We immediately knew it was a terror attack," recounted two people working in one of the businesses in the commercial center, where the attack occurred. We immediately started calling out 'Terrorist! Terrorist!' He dropped his knife and started running towards the nearby Ahuza Street. We chased him and then he drew another knife, a smaller one, and kept trying to stab us," they continued.

"We called out to drivers to help us and then they hindered his escape, and we managed to catch him on Ahuza Street along with other people. He received quite a beating. Only after he was neutralized, he let go of the knife, and then the police came and arrested him," they said. Other eye witnesses said the terrorist was wearing an orange vest.

At least one person was seriously wounded, suffering stab wounds to his upper body, including his neck, while the others were lightly-to-moderately hurt. The wounded were taken to the Meir Medical Center in Kfar Saba and the Rabin Medical Center in Petah Tikvah. Earlier, one Israeli was lightly wounded in a stabbing attack in Ra'anana while waiting for the bus not far from the city hall on Ahuza Street.

The attacker, a resident of East Jerusalem, attempted to stab him. He fought off his assailant and was hurt in the struggle. Other civilians came to his aid and helped him overpower the terrorist, who was lightly wounded. Maden David Adom paramedics evacuated the wounded Israeli, 32, to the Meir Medical Center in Kfar Saba with stab wounds to his upper body.

Ra'anana mayor Ze'ev Bielski, who spoke to the victim, Yair Ben Ezra, said Ben Ezra told him he suspected the stabber. "He said, 'I saw there was something about him' - and that is why the stab wounds were likely not where the stabber wanted and he fought him and managed to come out in reasonable condition," Bielski told Ynet.

Ben Ezra was also waiting for the bus. "I was standing at the bus stop for bus 437 to Tel Aviv, reading the paper about all of the terror attacks," he recounted. "I saw a strange man who was sweating. He seemed suspicious and he was holding a knife. All of a sudden he started stabbing me again and again. I pushed him to the ground with my left hand. I was lying on the ground for a minute and a half. He yelled 'Allahu Akbar.' He had a murderous look in his eyes. He stabbed me in the neck, at the back of the head and in my hand. My entire body hurt. I knew there was a mother and children nearby and I had to save them and that he must not stab them."

Following the attacks, Deputy Foreign Minister Tzipi Hotovely slammed Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, holding him responsible for the attack. "Mahmoud Abbas' spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeineh has praised and glorified a 13-year-old Palestinian who set out with a butcher's knife to murder Israeli children in a candy shop," she said. "The blood of Israeli citizens is on the hands of Mahmoud Abbas and his colleagues who are inciting children to commit murder. The Palestinian Authority, instead of preventing violence, has become an incubator for fanatical terrorism which is striking daily at Israeli citizens."

Hotovely called on Israel's government to consider halting money transfers to the Palestinian Authority. "The Foreign Ministry urges donor countries to use their influence to effect a cessation in violence and incitement by the Palestinian Authority."

Overnight Monday, IDF and Judea and Samaria police forces arrested 15 wanted Palestinians in the West Bank, who are suspected of involvement in terror activity and violent rioting against civilians and security forces. The arrested Palestinians, some of whom are suspected of stone-throwing, were taken into questioning.

Tuesday's attacks are the latest incident in a month-long wave of attacks, the worst spell of street violence for years, stirred in part by Muslim anger over increasing Jewish visits to the al-Aqsa mosque compound in Jerusalem. Since Rosh Hashanah last month, seven Israelis have been killed and dozens wounded in shooting and stoning attacks and a series of stabbings.

At least 26 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire, including 10 attackers and the rest in clashes between stone-throwers and Israeli troops. Hundreds of Palestinians have been wounded in such confrontations.

On Monday, Palestinians carried out three stabbings in Jerusalem, leaving a teenage Israeli boy in critical condition. The daily knife attacks have stoked concern of a new Palestinian uprising and though Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu have appealed for calm, the violence shows no signs of abating.

Palestinian groups declared a "Day of Rage" on Tuesday across the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem. The leaders of Israel's Arab community have called for a commercial strike in their towns and villages. And on Wednesday, a grandstand performance by Arab MKs at Al Aqsa, will be accompanied by a flock of Israeli and international camera crews.

They will have plenty of microphones to proclaim how badly they are treated and, above all, to continue to spread totally unproven falsehoods about Israeli desecrations of the Muslim Mosque of Al Aqsa, which has provided the Palestinians with their most evocative and unifying emblem for most of the past century.

Seventy-nine years ago, on April 19, 1936 - when Facebook, television and an Israel state were far in the future - the Arab High Command of Palestine declared a general strike which swiftly escalated into terrorist attacks against Jews and the British and evolved into the Great Arab Revolt.

Then, too, the rallying cry was "the Mosque is in danger!" for triggering the order to "burn a thousand buildings in Tel Aviv." By the time it was over in 1939, 600 Jews, 200 British officials and 5,000 Arabs were dead. Many of the last group died in internecine tribal feuds.

The same rallying cry has ever since fired Palestinian campaigns of terror. The "Al Aqsa Intifada" called by Yasir Arafat on Oct. 1, 2000, which saw the first intensive use of suicide attacks for terror, cost the lives of 1,178 Israelis and 50 foreigners, injured 8,022 civilians. The Palestinians lost 3,333 dead and 30,000 injured – many self-inflicted.

Israeli Arab leaders looks as though they have the bit between their teeth and are trying to use the weakness of the Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas to set the pace of events for the Palestinians as well. The Israeli government is trying to pour oil on these turbulent waters, turning to the slow-moving legislative process as a means of fighting terror, while beefing up police forces, who are barely able to keep pace with the slashing knives.

The Health Ministry Tuesday ordered hospitals across Israel to go on emergency footing for a potential national contingency of multiple casualties in the wake of the wave of Palestinian terror. Medical and auxiliary staff and supply centers were put on a state of preparedness. Hospitals in Jerusalem already face a rise in emergency admissions in the past month as a result of terrorist attacks.

And as of Wednesday, two soldiers will enforce security on every Jerusalem's public bus, the day after terrorists attacked a Jerusalem bus and killed two passengers. The cabinet Tuesday earmarked the budget for a new security system for the capital's bus service to be run by contractors, who will take over from the soldiers when they get organized.

Channel 10 released on Tuesday night the testimony of the driver of the bus attacked by two Arab terrorists in Jerusalem's Armon Hanatziv neighborhood earlier in the morning. The driver described to Israel Security Agency and police investigators the first initial moments of the attack and how he miraculously survived after the terrorists opened fire and began stabbing passengers.

"Two passengers entered the bus at the first station. One of them went to the back of the bus and the other stood to my side without paying. He promised to alight at the next stop, take out money and pay me," the driver recounted. "At the next station, more peopled boarded and he promised me at the next station's he'd get off and take out money," the driver described to investigators.

In the middle of the trip, that same passenger opened fire and stabbed civilians along with another terrorist aboard the bus. The driver quickly opened the doors of the bus, enabling several passengers to escape. He too tried to flee but was initially chased after by the terrorist, who ended up returning to the bus, locking the doors and continuing his shooting spree.

Two Israelis were killed and seven more wounded - to varying degrees - in the horrific attack. Haim Habib, 78, was named on Tuesday night as one of the two fatalities.

'We Have No Choice': Ordinary Israelis Arm Themselves


With stabbings and shootings escalating by the day, Israelis are resorting to arming themselves to stay safe - often with unconventional means. Social media abounds with ideas for self-defense, ranging from knives and pepper spray to long umbrellas and wasp spray.

To understand what Israelis are doing practically, however, Walla! News spoke to several ordinary citizens arming themselves with what they have. "I decided to keep with me an iron crowbar, a tool to save myself or to rescue others, what can be done to save the people of Israel," Yihezkel Cohen, 29, stated to the daily. Cohen, a Jerusalemite, delivers pastries to bakeries. "It's been in my car since yesterday. Everyone needs to grab a tool - there's no choice. In recent attacks, civilians were the ones who stopped the terrorist the most quickly."

Cohen explained that in every attack, terrorists have been focused on close contact with their victims. For that reason, he said, "you have to have something big, a long knife to attack him. While security forces are doing their job, the people who are there first are ordinary citizens, like me, and therefore we need to be prepared. One hit with this thing can neutralize any terrorist."

Others improvise with other measures. 51 year-old Avraham David, from Ma'ale Adumim, commutes to Jerusalem for work. He has begun to carry a stick and a screwdriver. "If the Arabs will come and attack a Jew, I want to be the one to come and defend him," he said.

David added that while he trusts security forces, he wants to know that he has a weapon on hand in the event they do not show up in time. "If they aren't be here when an Arab begins to run wild here with a knife, will I sit and wait for them to arrive?" he asked. "Until someone dies here, and then maybe more? I'm not taking any chances. This screwdriver could save my life."

Hodaya Cohen, 22, from Jerusalem, has armed herself with pepper spray. "It's scary to be left without protection," she said. "You walk around town, feel like you're all exposed, without safety, with no security - then you have no choice but to defend yourself. I bought this spray today and from now on it's going to go out with me everywhere."

Mordechai (not his real name), 28, who asked to remain anonymous, also lives in Jerusalem. He has a gun license for his security job, but he now states that he walks around with his pistol all the time. Usually, he noted, he prefers to leave it locked up safely at home. "The gun, more than the protection [itself], also provides a safe environment," he reflected. "There's no choice: you have to be secure and be ready to defend yourself and your relatives. If a terrorist comes at me - I will not think twice, I do not 'neutralize' anyone. I unequivocally will kill him."

Report: Iranian Hackers Using LinkedIn to Acquire Sensitive Defense Information


A group of Iranian hackers set up a system of LinkedIn profiles to pry sensitive information from people in the defense and telecom sectors, The Wall Street Journal reported. This tactic, known as "social engineering," is one where hackers trick people to get them to cough up personal or sensitive information. "Having those trust relationships gives [hackers] a platform to do a bunch of different things," said Tom Finney, a security researcher at Dell Secureworks.

The 25 fake profiles described in the report were connected to more than 200 legitimate LinkedIn profiles — mostly individuals based in the Middle East who worked in sectors like telecom and defense. Those individuals and their companies likely have information that would be of interest to an Iranian cyber group, Dell Secureworks said.

Dell SecureWorks say they believe the group behind the fake LinkedIn profiles, labeled internally as "TG-2889," is the same Iran-based group that also created malware last year disguised as a resume application submitter for a job opening; as the victim filled out the fake job application, the malware took over the victims' computers, a scheme that was uncovered in a separate security firm's report last year.

CNBC provided further details of the scheme. A few of the accounts were of "leader" figures — their LinkedIn profiles suggested they held important jobs in technology, banking, oil and other industries, and some had more than 500 connections. Others were of "supporters" — profiles created to give endorsements and credibility to the "leaders."

"The level of detail in the profiles suggests that the threat actors invested substantial time and effort into creating and maintaining these personas," the report said. "The photos used in the fake accounts are likely of innocent individuals who have no connection to TG-2889 activity." LinkedIn said that the 25 fake profiles have been deleted.

Earlier this year, the United States recruited Israel and Great Britain to help fight growing cyber threats from Iran. An Israeli cybersecurity firm identified a wave of Iranian-backed hacking attacks on Israeli, Saudi Arabian, and Yemeni targets in June. In August it was reported that Iranian hacking attempts had targeted domestic dissidents.

In "Iran Has Built an Army of Cyber-Proxies," which was published in the August 2015 issue of The Tower Magazine, Jordan Brunner wrote about Iran's growing hacking capabilities and the tactics used by groups sponsored by Iran.

Lebanon's neighbor, Syria, is home to the Syrian Electronic Army (SEA), which employs cyber-warfare in support of the Assad regime. There are rumors that indicate it is trained and financed by Iran. The SEA's mission is to embarrass media organizations in the West that publicize the atrocities of the Assad regime, as well as track down and monitor the activities of Syrian rebels. It has been very successful at both. The SEA has attacked media outlets such as The Washington Post, the Chicago Tribune, the Financial Times, Forbes, and others. It has also hacked the software of companies like Dell, Microsoft, Ferrari, and even the humanitarian program UNICEF.

The group has carried out its most devastating cyber-attacks against the Syrian opposition, often using the anonymity of online platforms to its advantage. For example, its hackers pose as girls in order to lure opposition fighters into giving up seemingly harmless information that can lead to lethal crackdowns. The SEA's sophisticated use of cyberspace developed in a very short time, and it is reasonable to infer that this was due to Iranian training. Iran has long supported the ruling Assad regime in Syria and would be happy to support those who support him.

Home Search

(All material on these web pages is © 2001-2012
by Electronic World Communications, Inc.)

Read today's issue
Who is Don Canaan?
IsraelNewsFaxx's Zionism and the Middle East Resource Directory