Newsletter : 14fx1215.txt
| Previous file
| Next file
Netanyahu: Israel Will Rebuff UN Moves Towards Palestinian State
By VOA News
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said he would tell Secretary of State John Kerry
that Israel will rebuff any moves at the United Nations to set a timeframe for a
withdrawal from territory Palestinians seek for state. The State Department has said the
two men will meet in Rome on Monday to discuss various proposals for a Palestinian state
that are circulating at the United Nations.
Kerry will then meet Palestinian chief negotiator Saeb Erekat and a delegation of Arab
foreign ministers in London on Tuesday, who will urge for the United States not to use its
U.N. Security Council veto to block the proposals, Palestinian officials said.
U.S.-brokered peace negotiations with Israel, led by Kerry, collapsed in April. Since
then, Palestinians have made unilateral efforts at the U.N. to form their own state in the
occupied West Bank and in the Israeli-blockaded Gaza Strip, with East Jerusalem as its
Jordan circulated a Palestinian-drafted resolution to the 15-member Security Council
last month calling for Israeli occupation of Palestinian territory, captured in a 1967
war, to end by November 2016. France, Britain and Germany are in efforts to draft a
resolution of their own that could draw wider consensus.
Netanyahu, who is in the middle of campaigning for a March election, will also meet
Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi along with Kerry. "I will tell both of them that
Israel stands, to a great extent, as a solitary island against the waves of Islamic
extremism washing over the entire Middle East," Netanyahu said on Sunday in public remarks
to his cabinet.
He said Israel now faced a possible diplomatic offensive "to force upon us" such a
withdrawal within two years. "This will bring the radical Islamic elements to the suburbs
of Tel Aviv and to the heart of Jerusalem. We will not allow this. We will rebuff this
forcefully and responsibly. Let there be no doubt, this will be rejected."
Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman, speaking on Army Radio, said it appeared
the United States "is not eager to use its veto" on the Palestinian statehood issue but
was seeking "maximum coordination" with Netanyahu.
Netanyahu and Washington have clashed frequently over Israeli settlement in the West
Bank and East Jerusalem, leading to Israeli media speculation that a frustrated U.S. could
soften its opposition to unilateral statehood steps. But Israel's Strategic Affairs
Minister Yuval Steinitz told reporters: "I assume an anti-Israeli proposal will draw a
U.S. veto. That's how it's always been, and that's what we hope will happen."
Netanyahu has said rocket fire from the Gaza Strip during a 50-day war with Hamas
terrorists in July and August highlighted the risks Israel could face in handing over more
Palestinian territory. In Jerusalem, violence has surged in recent weeks because of a
dispute over access to a holy site in an Israeli-annexed part of the city. Eleven Israelis
and 12 Palestinians have been killed.
Hamas: Second Video 'Taken from IDF Computers'
By Israel Hayom
In what appears to be another embarrassing security leak for the Israel Defense Forces,
Hamas on Saturday published another video showing footage from Operation Protective Edge,
which the terrorist group claims was taken from the army's computers.
On Thursday, a Palestinian website uploaded a leaked classified Israeli military report
on a Hamas naval commando attack during Operation Protective Edge, which included
previously omitted information about the attack and specifics on the weapon systems the
IDF used to foil it.
The most recent video shows an incident that took place on July 19, in which terrorists
infiltrated Israel in the area of the Be'eri Forest and attacked an army jeep from the
188th Brigade. Maj. (res.) Amotz Greenberg, 45, from Hod Hasharon and Sgt. Adar Barsano,
20, from Nahariya were killed in the attack, and two other soldiers were wounded.
The video appears with Arabic subtitles. The IDF was still investigating the source of
the security breach and declined to comment on the latest video. Following Thursday's
video of the foiled beach attack, the IDF issued a statement saying the video is an
"internal IDF debriefing report, whose leak is a serious incident that will be
investigated and dealt with accordingly, not through the media."
Suspected Islamist Attack on Cafe in Australia
More than a dozen hostages are being held inside a central Sydney, Australia cafe where
a black flag with white Arabic writing could be seen in the window, local television
showed on Monday (local time), according to Reuters. The flag reads, "There is no God but
Allah and Mohammad is the messenger of God," Australia's ABC News tweeted.
Australia, which is backing the United States and its escalating action against the
Islamic State (ISIS), is on high alert for attacks by radicalized Muslims or by home-grown
fighters returning from fighting in the Middle East. However, local commentator Mo
Elleissy noted on Twitter that the flag in the cafe was not an ISIS flag.
Part of Martin Place, home to the Reserve Bank of Australia, commercial banks and close
to the New South Wales (NSW) state parliament, was closed off by armed police, the report
said. Live television footage showed an estimated 13 patrons inside a cafe standing with
their hands pressed against the windows. A black and white flag similar to those used by
Islamic State militants in Iraq and Syria was also visible.
NSW Police tweeted, "A police operation is underway in Martin Place, Sydney's CBD.
People are advised to avoid the area." Dozens of police including a SWAT team were setting
up and a couple of hundred people were being held back by cordons.
Trains and buses were stopped and roads were blocked in the area, with train operators saying there had been a bomb threat at Martin Place, according to Reuters. "The police operation is underway, we're urging people to avoid the area while it's under way," a police spokesman told the Australian website news.com.au.
ISIS terrorism has recently been on the rise in Australia, with police recently
arresting 15 terror suspects of an ISIS cell that was planning to behead a random member
of the public in a campaign of terror.
Four Year-Old Buys Nazi Ring in Vending Machine
A vending company in Tulsa, Oklahoma is under fire on Friday, after a four-year-old boy
presented a toy ring with Nazi insignia on it to his shocked mother. Leona Kelley told
local TV KOKI-TV that she was livid after her son presented her with the ring, which was
purchased with a quarter (25 cent) at a toy vending machine outside a local Family Dollar
store. According to Kelley, the ring was "made just like the other rings they've got in
The Nazi symbol, an eagle with a swastika in its talons, is known as The Parteiadler -
and was Adolf Hitler's emblem for the genocidal Nazi Party during the Third Reich. Kelley
went inside the store and yelled at the store owners before leaving, confiscating the toy
ring. She later traveled to other Family Dollar stores in Tulsa and found that no other
machines had the ring in stock. KOKI later attempted to call the vending company, but
calls were left unanswered. The company, which remains unnamed, has apparently been known
to be problematic before.
(All material on these web pages is © 2001-2012
by Electronic World Communications, Inc.)