Newsletter : 11fx0908.txt
| Previous file
| Next file
Report: Israel Offers PA to Postpone UN Bid for Negotiations
By IsraelNationalNews.com and VOA News
The Kuwaiti daily Al-Jarida has reported that the Palestinian Authority is considering
an Israeli offer to postpone the unilateral statehood bid at the UN for at least one year
and to immediately begin negotiations for a permanent peace agreement.
According to the report, which was translated and presented on the website of the
Middle East Media Research Institute on Wednesday, the offer was made to the PA during
secret negotiations which have been ongoing for several months in various Arab and
According to the report in the Kuwaiti daily, the negotiations also included meetings
between Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and Israeli Defense Minister Ehud
Barak, in which they discussed the possibility of holding a formal meeting between Abbas
and Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu. Netanyahu promised the U.S. to return to
negotiations if an agreement on scheduling was reached.
The report stressed that Netanyahu shared the negotiation details with Foreign Minister
Avigdor Lieberman and opposition leader Tzipi Livni.
Meanwhile, MEMRI also reported that a website close to Abbas' Fatah party reported that
Abbas advisor Nimer Hammad said that if Dennis Ross and David Hale, the U.S. envoys
visiting the region, would make offers that meet the PA's demands of halting Jewish
communities in Judea and Samaria and recognizing a Palestinian state along the 1949
armistice lines, the PA would forgo an appeal to the UN.
The report comes after on Wednesday, the United States formally asked Ramallah to drop
its bid for recognition of a PA state based. The request was relayed to Abbas by Hale
during a meeting in Ramallah, officials said. The meeting was also attended by Ross and by
U.S. Consul-General in Jerusalem, Daniel Rubenstien.
The report also seems to be in line with another report earlier this week which said
that Abbas and Barak held a meeting in Amman on August 24. Abbas, who told reporters in
Ramallah about the meeting, refused to specify the circumstances behind it and simply said
the two `discussed a number of issues.'
However, the Voice of America reported Wednesday that talks between Abbas and US envoys
have ended with no apparent shift in a Palestinian plan to seek statehood recognition in
the United Nations this month.
The French news agency quoted an Abbas aide as saying differences between the two sides
remained "wide" on Wednesday, following talks in the West Bank. U.S. envoys David Hale and
Dennis Ross pressed Abbas to return to peace talks with Israel instead of pursuing
statehood recognition at the U.N. General Assembly later this month.
U.S. State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland described the consultations as "good"
but added the U.S. considers the Palestinian course of action to be "misguided."
Ya'alon: Israel Not on Brink of War
Israel Vice Premier Moshe Ya'alon on Wednesday dismissed the notion strong Islamist
currents driving the Arab Spring had brought Israel to the brink of war. "There is no
all-out-war on our threshold."
Ya'alon, a former IDF Chief of Staff, stressed. "We cannot talk of an Arab coalition.
The Arab countries are currently occupied with issues within and have no time to deal with
Tuesday started off with an all-out-war according to the IDF commander of the
Home Front Command, the day continued with the Turkish prime minister's remarks on
severing trade ties with Israel, which was later clarified with a statement explaining
that he was referring to defense industry trade which has no significant volume as it is;
in the background September tsunami is looming. Naturally, the stock market is sliding
not only because of these events but also because of global declines.
"When we talk about the events unfolding around us, the changes pose no threat to
Israel, neither in the short term nor the mid term. What is happening around us is that
young people are being exposed to the real word whereas until now they were cut off form
the word by totalitarian regimes. Hafez Assad banned cell phones and internet in Syria. He
must have seen the world. This wave cannot be contained," Ya'alon said.
"The shockwaves present an opportunity for radical elements to try and step into the
picture and wreak havoc. The West must do all in its power to help moderate elements rise
and prevail over radical elements in the Arab world. Israel will not be affected in the
short and mid term; however, we are exposed to the threats on part of terrorist elements
which are trying to capitalize on the situation and of course, in the long run there are
Iran's nuclear aspirations.
"Looking closely at the Arab Spring uprising, one cannot maintain that the uprisings
will have only a negative affect on Israel. The situation in Syria which has reached a
point of no return may perhaps smash the axis of evil. Insofar as the event in Egypt, is
the radical elements in the country are not neutralized Egypt will have a hard time
working out of the crisis this will pose a challenge for any President who is
Ya'alon's remarks were unusual in that he singled out IDF Home Front Command chief Maj.
Gen. Eyal Eisenberg - who said Monday he believed the 'Arab Spring' may lead to an
'Islamic Winter,' increasing the likelihood Israel would find itself at war - for
However, on May 31, 2011, Ya'alon said that the civilized world must take joint action
to avert the Iranian nuclear threat, and that action should include a pre-emptive strike
if necessary. Ya'alon made the comments in an interview with Russia's Interfax news
agency, ahead of his visit to Moscow.
"We strongly hope that the entire civilized world will come to realize what threat this
regime is posing and take joint action to avert the nuclear threat posed by Iran, even if
it would be necessary to conduct a pre-emptive strike," Interfax quoted Ya'alon as
Though he would not discuss who might deal the strike, he stressed that the entire
world and not just Israel, must be concerned about the danger posed by a nuclear-armed
Viagra Reaches Royal Pinnacle
Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah was still using Viagra pills at the grand old age of 92,
according to a classified US State Department document published by WikiLeaks this week.
According to a telegram sent from the American embassy in Riyadh on July 13, 2008, the
king is also about 10 years older than what was previously assumed.
The telegram was based on information provided by a Western medical source that had
frequent contact with members of the Saudi royal family. According to the telegram, this
source arrived in Saudi Arabia in order to examine one of King Abdullah's four wives, but
received the king's medical file by mistake.
According to the file, King Abdullah was born in 1916. Even though he was 92 at the
time, the report noted that he was still a heavy smoker, received hormone shots regularly,
and was using Viagra.
The telegram noted that the Saudi royal family always made sure not to provide
information about the king's medical condition or age. The US embassy added that according
to past estimates, King Abdullah's age was in the 82-87 range. However, if the newly
released figures are correct, he is much older than previously assumed.
(All material on these web pages is © 2001-2012
by Electronic World Communications, Inc.)