Google Search
Search www.israelfaxx.com


Newsletter : 8fax0704.txt

Directory | Previous file | Next file

Unconfirmed Report: Iran to Stop Uranium Work if Sanctions Lifted

By IsraelNationalNews.com

Iran has promised to stop producing uranium if economic sanctions are lifted, according to an Israel Channel 2 TV news report. No other news source has confirmed the report, which was based on unidentified western sources.

The European Union last week banned dealing with Bank Melli, Iran's largest bank. Iran has refused to allow international inspection of its nuclear facility, and the Channel 2 report did not indicate how inspectors could monitor a halt of the production of uranium, which can be used for manufacturing a nuclear bomb.


Bulldozer Driver's Dad: 'Son Not Terrorist, Don't Destroy House'

By IsraelNationalNews.com & YnetNews.com

Taysar Duwiyat, the father of the bulldozer attacker, said Thursday that his son was not a terrorist. The son, Hussam, 31, murdered three Jews and wounded dozens on Wednesday when he drove his bulldozer into buses and cars on a downtown Jerusalem street.

Taysar dissociated himself from his son's attack. "How could he do such a thing?" he said. But the father added, "He is not a terrorist. He is a drug addict. He has given us nothing but problems." The father's remarks came at a time when senior officials are considering demolishing the Duwiyat family house in eastern Jerusalem, as a deterrent against future terrorist attacks.

"I can't believe he did what he did; he was a good, caring person," Duwiyat's Jewish ex-girlfriend said. According to the 27-year-old ex-girlfriend, who also resides in Jerusalem, Duwiyat "liked Jews and had many Jewish friends. Maybe a domestic dispute led him to this," said the woman, who asked to remain anonymous, "He did a foolish thing; he wrecked his family and ruined the lives of his children."

In February 2001 Duwiyat was convicted by the Jerusalem Magistrates Court of assaulting her and was sentenced to 20 months in prison. He admitted to threatening her, including telling her he would kill her if she refused to marry him; and physically assaulting her on a number of occasions, despite the restraining order that had been issued against him. The couple broke up eight years ago.

The ex-girlfriend said Duwiyat's life could have been spared: "Why did they have to put those two bullets in him (after the attack was over)?" she said. "I'm very sad today. At first my parents were angry with me because I cried over his death, but now they are consoling me, because the media are harassing me. I'm reliving the entire episode after eight years.

"He loved me and I loved him; we were each other's first love. He wasn't violent all the time, only when he had a reason to be jealous," she recalled. "I loved him despite what he did to me. He was everything to me during that time."

The Duwiyat family has hired a lawyer, Shimon Kokosh, to oppose the demolition. Kokosh claims his client's son was temporarily insane and was not a terrorist. Kokosh maintains that the bulldozer operator Hussam would not have been able to stand trial because of his mental condition. A soldier on leave killed the bulldozer operator before he could continue his rampage.

The murderer shouted Allah Akbar (Allah is the Greatest), a common slogan used by terrorists who are motivated by religious vengeance. Kokosh explained, "He probably said it after he was shot, wounded and fainted. He then regained consciousness and made the remark as an instinctive reaction.

Kokosh declared, "There is no proof that he was a terrorist. The Prime Minister and Defense Minister have to prove he was a terrorist before they can order that his home be destroyed." He based his claim on reports by security officials that Duwiyat acted on his own and that no known terrorist organization took responsibility for the attack.

Police said that the attacker had a criminal record and served two years for raping a Jewish woman whom he knew. And four hours after the terrorist attack, his sister-in-law walked on the porch of her home and shouted, "Shahid! (martyr)."

Attorney General Menachem Mazuz determined Thursday that there was not legal reason to refrain from tearing down the homes of the terrorist who carried out the attack on Mercaz Harav rabbinical seminary in Jerusalem and that of Duwiyat,

Mazuz did note, however, that although not illegal, such punitive action would carry significant judiciary difficulties. He urged both the government and the defense establishment to carefully consider the ramifications and perils of any such action and stressed that should a decision of that nature be made, it would have to be coordinated with the Justice Ministry.


Hero Had Been Rejected By IDF for Protesting Gaza Retreat

By WorldNetDaily.com

A heroic off-duty soldier who Wednesday shot dead a terrorist on a murderous rampage was initially rejected from the Israeli military because he protested Israel's 2005 retreat from the Gaza Strip. The soldier, 20-year old Moshe Klessner, was forced to fight in court to get accepted into the military due to his activism against the Gaza evacuation.

Klessner climbed onto a bulldozer driven by a terrorist against traffic, which was plowing into cars, buses and shocked crowds. He can be seen shooting the terrorist several times in the head, halting an attack that had already killed three – including two female teachers – and injured 57 others. Klessner had grabbed the gun of a nearby police officer.

In the rampage, Hussam Duwiyat, an Arab resident of eastern Jerusalem, drove the bulldozer on Jerusalem's popular Jaffa Street. His attack sent pedestrians and bus passengers fleeing the scene. According to witness accounts, two women tossed their infants out of a bus window seconds before the bus was overturned. One of the women was killed in the attack.

Israeli media reports revealed Klessner, who has thus far avoided the limelight, recently enlisted in an elite Israel Defense Forces commando unit after spending two years in court overturning an IDF decision against drafting him. Klessner had been refused, because he took part in the protests against Israel's Gaza evacuation.

Klessner is a yeshiva graduate. He has turned down media requests for interviews but released a statement explaining he interceded in yesterday's attack "in accordance with the (biblical) precept of 'don't stand by your brother's blood,' even at the risk of getting hurt."

Apparently heroism runs close to Klessner. His brother-in-law, David Shapira, a civilian and former soldier, was the man who finally killed a terrorist gunman in March during a yeshiva massacre in Jerusalem in which eight students were murdered in cold blood. Shapira had run into the school while other police officers refused to engage the terrorist during the gunman's rampage.


Iran Says Four Missing Iranians Alive in Israel After 26 Years

By VOA News

The Iranian embassy in Lebanon said four Iranians, including three diplomats, who disappeared in Beirut in 1982 are still alive and are being held in Israel. An embassy statement called for their release in a statement Thursday marking the 26th anniversary of their disappearance. It said Iran has information indicating Israel has detained the four.

The son of one of the missing Iranians Thursday said former prisoners in Israel have confirmed seeing the four alive in Israeli jails. Tehran said militants from the Christian Lebanese Forces kidnapped the four in Beirut during the 1982 Israeli invasion of Lebanon. The militant group has said they died in Lebanon.

The embassy statement comes one day after the leader of Lebanon's Hizbullah opposition, Hassan Nasrallah, said Israel would provide the group with information on the fate of the four Iranians as part of a prisoner exchange deal.


Poll: IDF Soldiers Do Not Practice Safe Sex

By YnetNews.com

Israeli soldiers don't like using a condom, according to a new survey on troops' bedroom behavior. The study also showed that non-combat troops use protection less than combat soldiers, and tend to replace their partners more often.

Some 113 male soldiers, aged 19-23, serving in an array of IDF army units took part in the survey. Its results were presented during an international nursing conference headed by Dr. Orly Toren, deputy director of the Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital in Jerusalem, on Wednesday.

According to the findings, none of the soldiers use a condom on a regular basis. About 70 percent noted that they used condoms the first time they had sexual relations and 65 percent said they used protection the last time they had sex. However, none of them use condoms regularly. The survey also indicated that soldiers serving close to home tend to use condoms less than combat soldiers. Those serving in close proximity to their homes also tend to switch partners more often.

More than 60 percent of the soldiers claimed that their parents do not know that they are sexually active and 70 percent said that they would prefer if sexual instruction would be carried out by a professional and not by their parents.


















Home Search

(All material on these web pages is © 2001-2012
by Electronic World Communications, Inc.)



 
Home
Search
 
Read today's issue
 
Who is Don Canaan?
 
IsraelNewsFaxx's Zionism and the Middle East Resource Directory