Newsletter : 7fax0827.txt
| Previous file
| Next file
Sharon's Brain Not Functioning
Ra'anan Gissin, an advisor and personal friend of Sharon, told journalists Sunday that
doctors cannot find any signs of activity in Sharon's brain, but that the Sharon family
does not want him taken off the respirator, because "they believe he will yet
The spokesman for Sheba Medical Center said Sunday that there has been no change in the
condition of former Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, and that he continues to be unconscious
and to breathe with the aid of a respirator. Sharon suffered a stroke on Jan. 4, 2006 and
went into a coma. Six months later he was taken to Sheba Hospital and has remained there
Israel Considers Military Action in Gaza after Palestinian Infiltration
By Robert Berger (VOA-Jerusalem) & IsraelNationalNews.com
Israel is considering a military response in the Gaza Strip after an infiltration by
Palestinian terrorists. Israel sees Gaza as a growing threat since the Islamic terrorist
group Hamas seized control of the territory from the less terroristic Fatah faction two
Israeli Cabinet ministers demanded tough military action Sunday after two Palestinian
gunmen scaled the heavily fortified Gaza border wall on Saturday and infiltrated Israel.
The gunmen, who were on their way to attack an Israeli community, were intercepted and
killed by Israeli troops. And on Sunday, six unarmed Palestinian youths scaled the wall in
the same area and were arrested by Israeli troops.
In the wake of the infiltrations, and daily Palestinian rocket attacks on border
communities, Israel is running out of patience. Avi Dichter, the government's public
security minister, told Israel Radio that the country must restore deterrence in Gaza. He
said there are military measures that Israel has not taken yet that could convince Hamas
to halt rocket attacks and infiltrations.
Dichter said Israel should create a buffer zone or no-man's land along the Gaza border,
where any Palestinian entering the area would be considered a terrorist and shot. He said
some Palestinian neighborhoods in Gaza which militants use to launch rockets at Israel
should be evacuated.
So far the measures have not been approved by Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, who fears
they could torpedo peace efforts with the internationally-backed Palestinian government in
the West Bank. But many Israeli officials believe that with Hamas in power in Gaza, a
major military offensive is just a matter of time.
At least one of the three terrorists who infiltrated Saturday was a member of Fatah;
all were wearing IDF uniforms and were heavily armed.
The three took advantage of heavy fog to use a rope and ladder to cross the much-touted
security fence, which is being replicated in Judea and Samaria due to its purported
effectiveness. To date dozens of Arab terrorists have crossed under the fence, through
tunnels, including the terrorists who kidnapped Cpl. Gilad Shalit last year at Kerem
Northern Gaza Region IDF Commander Gen. Moni Katz told Yedioth Ahronoth that the
terrorists had managed to get past the security fence using a "sophisticated device" and
were on their way to a vehicle driven by two other terrorists, who escaped back into Gaza
during the gunfight. Katz did not elaborate on the nature of the device that allowed the
terrorists to enter through the fence.
It has been speculated that the means by which the terrorists breached the wall were
not at all sophisticated, consisting of ropes, pulleys and ladders, according to photos
published in the major newspapers Sunday. But due to the government's heavy investment in
the construction of an identical fence across Judea and Samaria the facts are being kept
Katz said the men were armed with assault rifles, several clips of ammunition, hand
grenades and bulletproof vests. He admitted that due to the weather and the terrorists'
method of crossing over the fence, "Until the moment they opened fire we did not know it
was an infiltration."
The Popular Resistance Committee, a joint Hizbullah-style group made up of members of
Hamas, Fatah and Islamic Jihad, said its members carried out the infiltration.
Israeli-Arab Galilee Terrorist Group Claims Another Murder
The terrorist who was killed while carrying out an attack in Jerusalem's Old City
carried out a murder last month of a Jewish man, a new Israeli-Arab terror group said.
The Galilee-based Israeli-Arab terror group, which calls itself the Arab-Israeli
Galilee Liberation Organization (GLO), told the PA-based Maan News Agency that Ahmad
Khatib, who was shot to death after stealing an Israeli security guards gun and shooting
wildly in the Old City's Christian Quarter two weeks ago, had already carried out another
The group said that Khatib murdered 68-year-old Upper Nazareth resident Michael Ronkin
outside his home just over two weeks ago. Ronkin was found covered with stab wounds by
medics, but the investigation and circumstances of his death were the subject of a
gag-order prohibiting publication until now. Ronkin's family was sure that it was a
terrorist attack from the day he died. The GLO also claimed responsibility for the killing
of IDF soldier Oleg Shaichat in July, 2003.
Hamas Planning Mega Attack in Israel
By Ha'aretz & IsraelNationalNews.com
The deputy director of the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) told the cabinet on Sunday
that Hamas leaders in Damascus have ordered its followers in Judea and Samaria to carry
out a large-scale terror attack in Israel. The news shows the growing influence of Hamas
in Judea and Samaria since its takeover of the Gaza Strip following Israel's retreat.
The official, identified only as Y., said also that smuggling into the Gaza Strip has
increased. Since the Hamas takeover, he said the Arabs have managed to smuggle in over 40
tons of explosives, half the amount brought in since Israel's uprooting of area Jews, two
years ago. Thirteen tons have been brought into Gaza so far this month.
"There are efforts on the part of the Hamas leadership in Damascus to put together a
plan to foil diplomatic efforts between Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas and
Israel," said Y., the Shin Bet deputy head.
The Olmert government claimed that after handing over security control to Egypt the
smuggling of weapons and explosives into the Gaza Strip would stop. Lately, 150 RPG
rockets were smuggled in from Egypt.
He also noted that there has been a rise in terror incidents lately: Last week there
were 56 incidents of shooting and rocket fire, but the week before that only had 43 such
Jewish Boy Served as Nazi 'Mascot'
More than 60-years after the Second World War came to an end, Alex Kurzem of Australia
revealed to his family that he was a Jew who survived the war by being adopted by the SS
at the age of five and becoming a Nazi mascot.
Kurzem, 70, revealed his story to his wife and two children in 1997, and now, 10 years
later, a book entitled The Mascot and written by Kurzem's son Mark, has been published in
London. "Who would have believed such a story?" Kurzem told Yedioth Ahronoth over the
phone last week.
"Only after my son decided to dedicate himself to research did we realize that I was
documented in Nazi propaganda ads and Nazi press and Nazi newsreels where the photographs
appearing in the book were taken from. In newsreels I was nicknamed 'The Reich's youngest
Nazi'." Dressed in a little SS uniform and armed with toy gun, Kurzem looked like a real
"Only one Nazi knew I was Jewish, and he made me swear not to tell," Kurzem said, "This
was a daily struggle, because I was troubled by it every day. Luckily, I did not look
Jewish, but more German than the Germans, and so, despite my fears, no one ever doubted my
Kurzem's story begins in 1941, when his Belarusian village was invaded by Germany. The
then five-year-old boy managed to escape the massacre, but witnessed the death of his
mother and two siblings, along with the rest of the villagers.
The young boy wandered through the woods for nine months, surviving on wild berries and
handouts, until he was handed over to the Latvian police brigades, which later became
incorporated into the Nazi SS.
The Latvians were convinced Kurzem was a Russian orphan of German descent. "They were
sure I was a German orphan, and that's why I deserved to become their mascot," he
Kurzem said he does not remember Hitler, but was documented in a Nazi newsreel as being
paraded before Adolf Hitler, who hailed him as an upstanding example to German youth.
"I was too young to know who was who," said Kurzem, "I don't even know my exact age. I
believe I'm about 70-years-old. I didn't have any documents and I never found my birth
certificate, but I have discovered that my real family name is Galperin and that I was
born near Minsk."
Young Alex was given little jobs to do like polishing shoes and lighting fires. With
the Russian army approaching Latvia, the Nazis sent Kurzem to live with a Latvian family
"The family's father was a chocolatier," Kurzem said, "When the Russians approached we
fled to Germany and ended up in Dresden just as the horrible bomb set the city ablaze.
From there I was transferred to a refugee camp in Hamburg, and in 1949 I was asked by
representatives of the Allied countries who were aiding refugees if I was interested in
going to Australia where refugees were being taken in, and I've been here ever since.
"Why did they take me in and keep me as a mascot? Maybe they wanted to feel more humane
in the midst of the atrocities that they caused," said Kurzem. He said that he has never
visited Israel as he could never afford to do so, but told Yedioth Ahronoth that he thinks
he has cousins living there from his father's side. "If the people of Yad Vashem invite me
for a visit, I would love to come to Israel," he said.
Pentagon Pulls Apocalyptic Video Game
By Israel Faxx News Services
The Pentagon stopped delivery of a proselytizing videogame about the apocalypse after
complaints led by a Jewish activist.
"Military Religious Freedom," headed by Mickey Weinstein, a Jewish former Air Force
officer, had uncovered a plan by Operation Straight Up, a group that targets U.S. troops
for evangelism, to send the "Left Behind: Eternal Forces" game to troops stationed in the
"It's a horrible game because in it you either kill or convert the other side,"
Weinstein said in a statement about the game, based on the hugely popular "Left Behind"
novel and movie series.
The Pentagon last week withdrew its approval of Operation Straight Up's plans to
distribute the game. Muslim groups had also complained.
Nazi Films on YouTube
By DPA & IsraelNationalNews.com
Nazi and Neo-Nazi films promoting racial hatred of Jews are being shown on the YouTube
website. It is possible to watch videos of an anti-Semitic film released by the Nazis
during World War II called Jud Suess on YouTube. Outlawed videos of the neo-Nazi groups
Kommando Freisler and Landser are also available on the site.
Germany's Central Council of Jews is reportedly considering a criminal complaint
against YouTube for allowing videos that promote racial hatred and glorify war. Such
action makes the video-sharing website liable to charges of incitement to racial hatred,
the council's vice president, Salomon Korn, told the German television program Report
"I expect the prosecutor's office, other relevant authorities and, if necessary, the
German government to take action against this," Korn was quoted as saying in the program
due to be aired Monday.
(All material on these web pages is © 2001-2012
by Electronic World Communications, Inc.)