Newsletter : 4fax0114.txt
| Previous file
| Next file
New School for Kosher Chefs Opens in Jerusalem
A new training school for Kosher Chefs opened last Sunday with 27 students, 22 from
abroad and five from Israel. The Kosher Culinary Academy, which is based at the Holyland
Hotel, is the brainchild of English-born chef Yochanan Lambiase.
The 10-month full-time course is being taught in English. The students, aged 18 - 32, are
from Orthodox backgrounds and come from the U.S., U.K. and Canada. "We are making history
today", said Lambiase, in his opening address to the students. "This is the first Mehadrin
(strictly kosher) kosher chef school in the world, and we are training you to be the first
generation of kosher chefs."
Bullets, Rockets and Bomb Belts
Arab terrorists launched a wave of guerilla attacks on Jewish civilians Tuesday,
including one in which a Jewish vehicle in the western Binyamin district was fired upon,
killing one person and injuring two others. Terrorists opened fire on the vehicle near
the Jewish community of Talmon.
Magen David Adom emergency medical service officials reported that one of the victims
is a 33-year old male and in moderate condition. He has been transported to the trauma
unit of Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital. A second person in light-to-moderate condition is
being treated on the scene. An IDF physician pronounced the third person dead on the
A second shooting attack in the same region took place on the Abed Bypass Road. No
injuries were reported. A vehicle was hit by terrorist gunfire on the Shechem Bypass Road
during the afternoon hours. There were no injuries. And a number 161-bus traveling between
Tapuah Junction and the community of Migdalim was targeted with a firebomb. No injures
Earlier Tuesday, border police apprehended a suicide bomber near Tul Karem on his way
to perpetrate an attack. Rami Tarif Inam was apprehended at a makeshift checkpoint and was
disguised as a woman according to border police officials. Five other PA residents
suspected of terrorist activities were also arrested in the Tul Karem area.
Three Arab youths were apprehended while cutting the security fence to Kibbutz Erez. It
is possible they were seeking to gauge the response time of security forces. In recent
months security forces have witnessed an increase in the deployment of children and
teenagers whom security forces believe are being used as 'test cases' for terrorists to
monitor the situation and response of security forces, allowing the terrorists to make the
needed adjustment to successfully penetrate security forces when actually seeking to carry
out a terror attack.
Three SS Officers Indicted In Italy
Belated justice has led to the indictment of three Nazis who were all former members of
the SS. An Italian court handed down the indictments on Monday on charges of massacring
560 people in 1944 in the Italian village of Sant'Anna di Stazzema.
The Italian ANSA news agency reported that indictments were issued against Gerhard
Sommer, 83; Alfred Schonenberg, 83; and Ludwig Sonntag, 80 - all former members of the
infamous SS Panzergrenadier Division now living in Germany. The La Spezia court in
northwestern Italy decided not to go ahead with cases against two other SS members who
were facing charges while requesting further information on a third.
German prosecutors who have also been carrying out investigations in the case
recommended the prosecution of eight Nazis last year. Among those cited was a man referred
to as Gerhard S. In 2002, German public television ARD interviewed a Gerhard Sommer from
Hamburg who admitted being a company commander in the division, but he had little to say
about the massacre in Italy. "I have an absolutely pure conscience, and I don't want now
to know further about these things," Sommer said.
In August 1944, about 300 of Hitler's elite and most fanatical SS troops surrounded the
Tuscan village of Sant'Anna di Stazzema, which had been flooded with Jewish refugees, in
what was ostensibly a hunt for partisans. Instead the villagers, almost all women,
children and elderly were systematically executed. Many of the other Jewish refugees were
herded into basements and subsequently murdered when the Nazis threw hand grenades into
their hiding places.
Italy has been reopening investigations into Nazi war crimes since former SS captain
Erich Priebke was found guilty in 1996 of playing a major role in a separate 1944
massacre. He was given a life sentence in 1998 for his role in the slaughter of 335 men
and boys at the Ardeatine Caves south of Rome.
The current trial of the three Nazis is scheduled for April. It is not clear whether
Italy will request the three men's extradition from Germany.
U.S. Investigators Blame Israeli Negligence for 1967 Attack
The U.S. investigation into the 1967 Israeli attack on the USS Liberty concluded Israel
was at fault and 34 Americans were killed and 171 injured as a result of Israel attacking
the vessel, which was in international waters on an intelligence-gathering mission.
A U.S. State Department official stated that everything that could possibly have gone
wrong went wrong in this case. He explained that Israel was at war and the Liberty crew
failed to inform Israel of its presence. The official added, "This is a ship that should
have been hundreds of miles from the war zone".
Nevertheless, there are those who have blamed Israel in the past for intentionally
targeting the ship, explaining Israel was "too good" for such an accident. Others
explained that if Israel wished to wipe out the Liberty, air forces bombers would have
been more efficient and left no witnesses as was the case in the mistaken assault. The
attack took place in international waters on June 8, 1967, off the Sinai Peninsula.
(All material on these web pages is © 2001-2012
by Electronic World Communications, Inc.)