Newsletter : 1fax0801.txt
| Previous file
| Next file
>JN Aug. 1, 2001, Vol. 9, No. 131
Israel Threatens Lebanon for Draining of Water Supply
The Hatzbani River, which runs from southern Lebanon to northern
Israel, is being taxed beyond agreed-upon limits by the Lebanese
Israel says that if the excessive pumping does not end, it will
halt its supply of water to other south Lebanon villages and
consider military action.
Israel is currently in the midst of a very serious drought, and the
waters of the Hatzbani are a critical source of water.
Palestinians Call for Revenge
By Meredith Buel (VOA-Jerusalem)
Israeli combat helicopters have attacked a Palestinian militant
group in the West Bank town of Nablus, killing at least eight
people. Helicopter gun ships blasted offices of the militant
Islamic group Hamas in Nablus.
Two senior members of Hamas' political wing, Jamal Mansur and Jamal
Salim, died in the attack. Two children, who were brothers, were
After the attack, Palestinians poured into the streets of Nablus
crying in anguish and calling for revenge. Palestinian officials
are describing the killings as a "massacre," and the Palestinian
Authority called for a two-day period of mourning.
Speaking in Gaza, Hamas spiritual leader Sheikh Ahmed Yassin said
"the Israeli people will pay a heavy price" for the attack. Hamas
has carried out numerous bombings against Israel in recent months,
and has warned it is planning additional attacks.
Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, in a statement, said Hamas members had
carried out acts of terror in the past, and were planning more
attacks in the future. The statement expressed regret for the
deaths of the children.
Israel has carried out a series of targeted killings, described by
Palestinians as assassinations, as part of a policy to halt
terrorist bombings against Israelis. Palestinians say about 50
people have been targeted since the uprising against Israeli
occupation began more than 10 months ago.
The United States condemned the Israeli attack, calling it
"excessive" and "highly provocative." The British government also
condemned the attack, saying it could not accept Israel's targeted
assassination of Palestinian militants.
Iraqi Incursion into Jordan
Gamla News Service
Last week, DEBKA-Net-Weekly and the second largest electronic
news site in the U.S., World Net Daily, broke the news about Iraqi
commandos being in Jordan. This is undoubtedly the most important
military development in the 10 months of the Palestinian
confrontation with Israel.
World Watch Daily picked up the story after its senior
correspondent verified it from a high-placed source in Amman. That
source noted that certain unidentified forces were at pains to
suppress the information.
Other news reports cited the same high-placed Jordanian source as
disclosing that a second Iraqi force was now poised on the
Jordanian frontier, almost 10 times the number of the first wave of
invaders - an estimated 10,000-18,000 troops.
In addition, the U.S. investigative publication Global Strafor
reported from Washington that the U.S. is on the point of launching
a military strike against Iraq.
DEBKA-Net-Weekly's military sources learned that the troops'
mission is to reach the Israeli border, cross the Jordan River and
move into the main Palestinian cities of the West Bank - Ramallah,
Jenin, Nablus and Bethlehem - and fight alongside the Palestinians.
The invading units are highly trained and well-equipped commandos
able to operate and survive in the field for long periods when cut
off from their headquarters and sources of supply.
Saddam Hussein secretly appointed his eldest son, Qusay, supreme
commander of what the Iraqi president is now describing as "the
DEBKA-Weekly-Net sources in Jerusalem and Washington reported that
King Abdullah has asked President George W. Bush for American
intervention against the Iraqi threat. He also turned to Israeli
prime minister Ariel Sharon to invoke the secret Israeli-Jordanian
defense pact signed by the late King Hussein and Yitzhak Rabin that
obliges Israel to act against military or terrorist elements
endangering the existence of the Kingdom of Jordan or the Hashemite
U.S. Navy Steers Clear of Haifa Port
By Aluf Benn (Courtesy of Ha'Aretz)
Ships of the American Sixth Fleet have not anchored in Haifa port
since shortly after the Intifada began, leading to concern here for
the health of the port-based economy and the state of relations
with the U.S.
The official reason given to Israeli officials was concern for the
safety of the crews and the general prohibition imposed on Sixth
Fleet ships anchoring in Middle East ports since the bombing of the
USS Cole in Yemen on October 12, last year. The blast killed 17
American sailors and injured 39 others.
Until the Cole bombing, Sixth Fleet ships anchored regularly in
Haifa. Aircraft carriers and other larger ships anchored outside
the port and their crews contributed about a million dollars a day
in tourist income to the city.
(All material on these web pages is © 2001-2012
by Electronic World Communications, Inc.)