Newsletter : 0fax1031.txt
| Previous file
| Next file
>JN Oct. 31, 2000, Vol. 8, No. 185
Embarrassed IDF Pulls Tanks from Gilo
Israel Television reported that the IDF has pulled the tanks
positioned in the Jerusalem neighborhood of Gilo out of
embarrassment. The IDF explained that they did not have permission
to use the tanks to reply to PA fire. The IDF explained that it was
embarrassing to have tanks sitting silently in an area under fire
and that it was best, therefore, to remove the tanks.
Barak Warns Arafat About Violence
By Meredith Buel (VOA-Jerusalem)
Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak says peace is still possible
in the Middle East, but warned Palestinian leader Yasir Arafat that
nothing will be achieved by the wave of recent violence that has
left about 150 people, mostly Palestinians, dead.
Barak told a hostile session of the Israeli parliament that peace
can be reached in the region, but not under the threat of violence.
He told lawmakers that the window of opportunity for peace for the
Palestinians is closing and warned Arafat that he will achieve
nothing if clashes continue.
The prime minister said Israel remained united against violence and
negotiation should be conducted around a table and not in the
streets, with shooting and stones. He defended his policies against
hecklers from the hawkish opposition parties, who accused him of
not being tough enough with the Palestinians.
So far Barak has been unsuccessful in trying to form an emergency
government with opposition leader Ariel Sharon. However Sharon, who
spoke to the parliament after Barak, said he was still open to the
idea if the details of a coalition agreement can be worked out.
Syria Held Responsible for Lebanese Attacks
By Meredith Buel (VOA-Jerusalem)
Israel said it will hold Syria responsible for renewed attacks by
Lebanese guerrillas on Israel's northern border. Deputy Defense
Minister Ephraim Sneh said Syria, which is considered the main
power broker in Lebanon, will be held responsible for any attacks by
Lebanese guerrillas on Israel's northern border.
Sneh accused Syria of allowing such attacks by Hizbullah
guerrillas, and warned that Israel will retaliate. Ha'aretz said
Israel's military commanders will recommend strikes on Syrian
targets, if attacks along the border continue.
Israeli Guerrillas to Battle Palestinian Terrorists
By Jenny Badner (VOA-Jerusalem)
Israeli army officials Monday announced a new strategy to counter
Palestinian gunmen who have been shooting at Israeli targets.
Israel's deputy defense minister, Efraim Sneh, says Israeli
troops will no longer just respond to Palestinian fire. From now
on, they will take the initiative, including using military units
trained in guerrilla warfare.
Israeli army spokesman Ra'anan Gissen says Israel is adopting the
new strategy to counter the sharp increase in Palestinian attacks
against Jewish neighborhoods and settlements in the West Bank and
"In the past, up to this point, we only reacted, now, with this new
approach, the army, or the officers, I would say, will have a
relatively free hand to initiate actions against gunmen, against
the location in order to not just deter but to make it very
difficult for them to concentrate on the shootings that they are
doing during the night."
FBI Reveals Threats of Arab Attacks in NYC
The FBI revealed it has information that Arab groups are planning
bomb attacks against the Sheraton and Hyatt Marquis hotels in New
York City as well as against the Washington Post.
According to the New York Post, identical letters were received in
the three location five days following the suicide attack that
claimed the lives of U.S. sailors in Yemen. FBI officials have
indicated they are uncertain regarding the validity of level of
threat of the letters. Nevertheless, in light of recent events,
security is being heightened for all three locations.
Holocaust Survivor Interrupts Wagner Concert
After the High Court of Justice ruled that the music of "Hitler's
composer" Richard Wagner may be played in a live concert in Israel,
the Rishon L'Tzion Symphony Orchestra went ahead with plans to
break the long taboo over the music in Israel.
The High Court however could not break the taboo among survivors of
Hitler's death machine, and an 80-year-old Holocaust survivor used
a noisemaker to prevent the start of the event. Persons seated
around him appeared annoyed, and eventually, one of the guests took
the noisemaker away from the elderly survivor and the guests sat
back and enjoyed the event.
The High Court of Justice upheld a decision of the District Court,
refusing to ban the concert of the composer who became known as
"Hitler's composer." For years, it was understood that the
music of Richard Wagner was not to be played or listened to in
Israel but persons such as conductor Mendi Rodan, also a Holocaust
survivor, decided the time has come to place the ban behind us.
Proponents explained that despite Wagner's personal mistakes, his
music ranks among the finest in the world.
(All material on these web pages is © 2001-2012
by Electronic World Communications, Inc.)